CHASE ELLIOTT TAKES THE CHECKERED FLAG IN THE ENJOYILLINOIS.COM 300
Joliet, Ill. – July 19, 2014 – NASCAR Nationwide Series rookie Chase Elliott looked like a seasoned veteran on Saturday night, earning the third win of his rookie season in the EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway. Elliott led a race-high 85 of the 200 laps under the lights, and captured win No. 3 in just his 18th start of the year. Trevor Bayne finished second, followed by Kyle Larson, Kasey Kahne and Ty Dillon.
Elliott retook the lead on lap 177 after a round of green-flag pit stops, and was able to hold off a charging Bayne to take the checkered flag. The win also gave Elliott the top spot in the point standings, as he overtook Regan Smith by a margin of seven. Brian Scott’s sixth place finish was a little sweeter than usual, as he earned a $100,000 check as a participant in the Dash 4 Cash program.
Mason Mitchell, 20, finally got over the hump in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards and took the checkered flag in the Ansell ActivArmr ®150. Mitchell, who has finished in second place on four separate occasions this season, took the lead with six laps remaining and never looked back.
“Coming to the checkered flag, I just didn’t want to jinx it,” said Mitchell. “I couldn’t believe it. Once I knew that it was over, we had to celebrate the right way.”
For the fourth consecutive year, Chicagoland Speedway will host the first race of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup this September – the first of ten ‘playoff’ style NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in pursuit of the 2014 championship. The Lucas Oil 225 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will kick off the weekend on Friday, Sept. 12, along with NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying. On Saturday, Sept. 13, the Jimmy John’s Freaky Fast 300 powered by Coca-Cola NASCAR Nationwide Series returns with the first race in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup concluding the weekend on Sunday, Sept. 14.
- CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY TO HOST CAR WASH AND OFFER TRACK LAPS FRIDAY, AUGUST 5
- Jeff Gordon Ticket Offer and Question & Answer Session Now Available at Chicagoland Speedway for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 400
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway
- We're Celebrating Our 15th Anniversary With A Special Camping Giveaway and MORE!
- EXCLUSIVE JIMMIE JOHNSON FAMILY TICKET PACKAGE AVAILABLE FOR THE TMNT 400