CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY SUPPORTS NASCAR’S GREEN CLEAN AIR PROGRAM WITH TREE DONATION
Chicagoland Speedway, NASCAR and UPS team up to provide 90 saplings to Openlands Conservation Organization
Joliet, Ill. – November 25, 2013 – Chicagoland Speedway has partnered with United Parcel Service (UPS) and the NASCAR Green Clean Air Tree Planting program to provide 90 trees to Openlands, one of the nation’s oldest and most successful metropolitan conservation organizations. Since its creation, Openlands has helped to secure, protect, and provide public access to more than 55,000 acres of land for parks, forest preserves, wildlife refuges, land and water greenway corridors, and urban gardens in Illinois.
With the arrival of the Emerald Ash Borer to the Chicago region, many of the mature ash trees at the Openlands Lakeshore Preserve have been affected. The donation of 90 saplings will not only help to replenish trees lost to the invasive species, but also help to capture any carbon emissions produced by racing.
“As a sport and as a facility, NASCAR and Chicagoland Speedway make a conscious effort to operate in an environmentally responsible manner,” said Scott Paddock, Chicagoland Speedway president. “Not only will the trees planted through the NASCAR Green Clean Air Tree Planting program reduce our carbon footprint, they will also serve to beautify the community we are a part of.”
Through the NASCAR Green Clean Air Tree Planting program, more than 6,000 trees will be planted to help offset the emissions from all racing sanctioned by NASCAR. In total, more than 8,000 trees will be planted in 2013 as a result of the partnership.
For more information on Openlands or the Openlands Lakeshore Preserve, please visit www.openlands.org.
The complete 2014 NASCAR schedule at Chicagoland Speedway is as follows:
Saturday, July 19 NASCAR Nationwide Series
Friday, Sept. 12 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Saturday, Sept. 13 NASCAR Nationwide Series
Sunday, Sept. 14 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Additional details around the two summer weekends of NASCAR racing at Chicagoland Speedway in 2014 will be announced in the coming weeks and months. For the latest event details and information stay connected on Twitter and Facebook.
- ‘RACE’ TO CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY WITH TRAIN-TO-TRACK PROGRAM
- NASCAR XFINITY Series Driver Bubba Wallace to Driver Join s the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Race Team and will Drive the No. 6 Shredder Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing at Chicagoland Speedway
- CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY TO HOST CAR WASH AND OFFER TRACK LAPS FRIDAY, AUGUST 5
- Jeff Gordon Ticket Offer and Question & Answer Session Now Available at Chicagoland Speedway for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 400
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway