Chicagoland Speedway's Great Chicago Fire Hydrant Benefitting the 100 Club
In 2013, we partnered with the Great Chicago Fire Hydrant Project to create a fire hydrant honoring fire fighters and fire safety workers at racetracks. The project benefits the 100 Club of Chicago which assists families of fire fighters, police officers and paramedics who have lost their lives in the line-of-duty.
Our fire hydrant was designed by our very own Creative Services Manager, Don McClelland. Don, a known artist responsible for all creative elements for Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway and also paints hockey goalie masks in his spare time.
The project took him four days to complete and countless hours. The result was a gorgeous fire hydrant commemorating safety personnel with a racing twist. The fire hydrant is now on display at Navy Pier. It was unveiled during Chase Week prior to the GEICO 400 with the help of Miss Sprint Cup Brooke and Matt Kenseth. Click here to see Don's making-of photos of the fire hydrant.
Since 1999, Don’s own company, Macmasks.com, combines his love of art with his favorite sports: ice hockey and racing. Producing custom airbrushed hockey goalie masks, hockey-style catcher masks and auto racing helmets, Macmasks.com has provided equipment for the NHL, AHL, NCAA and Comcast SportsNet host David Kaplan. His painted Chicago Wolves masks can be seen on display at Haray Caray’s restaurants.
Our fire hydrant is one of 101 that are currently displayed throughout the city through November. This citywide public art installation will feature oversized replicas of Chicago’s iconic standard ﬁre hydrants designed, painted, decorated and/or dressed by noted artists, architects, and fashion and interior designers. These colorful sculptures will be placed throughout the City in tribute to the work and heroism of our beloved Chicago Fireﬁghters. At the conclusion of the exhibition, the hydrants will be gathered for a ﬁnal exhibit before being auctioned, with net proceeds beneﬁting charities that support the families of ﬁre victims and other ﬁre safety programs.
- ‘RACE’ TO CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY WITH TRAIN-TO-TRACK PROGRAM
- NASCAR XFINITY Series Driver Bubba Wallace to Driver Join s the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Race Team and will Drive the No. 6 Shredder Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing at Chicagoland Speedway
- CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY TO HOST CAR WASH AND OFFER TRACK LAPS FRIDAY, AUGUST 5
- Jeff Gordon Ticket Offer and Question & Answer Session Now Available at Chicagoland Speedway for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 400
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway