MATT KENSETH TAKES THE CHECKERED FLAG IN THE GEICO 400
Kenseth Makes His First Appearance in Chicagoland Speedway’s Gatorade Victory Lane Following the First Race in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup
Joliet, Ill. – Sept.15, 2013 –Matt Kenseth won his first race at Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday, holding off Kyle Busch on lap 245 during a late restart in the GEICO 400. This was Kenseth’s 6th win of 2013, and a single-season career high number of wins for him in the Sprint Cup series.
“I had a good car, great pit stops and great strategy. Then we had that restart at the end and got that push from Kevin that put us out front where we really needed to be,” said Kenseth.
Joe Gibbs racing teammate Kyle Busch came in second, followed by Kevin Harvick then Kurt Busch. Busch missed out on the triple-header sweep after winning Friday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com225 and Saturday’s Dollar General 300 Powered by Coca-Cola. Hendrick Motorsports teammates Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon finished fifth and sixth, respectively, as Chase drivers claimed the top six spots in the finishing order and 10 of the first 12.
A Chicagoland Speedway series record of 25 lead changes among 16 different drivers occurred Sunday night.For more information on Chicagoland Speedway stay connected on Twitter and Facebook.
2014 Driver Standings
- Brad Keselowski Wins The MyAFibStory.com 400 at Chicagoland Speedway
- Kyle Busch Returns to Gatorade Victory Lane at Chicagoland Speedway
- Kevin Harvick Goes To Victory Lane at Chicagoland Speedway for 5th Time
- Chicagoland Speedway Offers Wide Array of Amenities For First Race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup
- Matt Kenseth Takes His Place in Champions Park at Chicagoland Speedway