Chicago Corner: Chad Knaus
In his 12th year leading Hendrick Motorsports’ No. 48 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car, Chad Knaus has established himself as one of the great crew chiefs in NASCAR history.
Knaus, a Rockford, Ill. native, has led driver Jimmie Johnson to 11 top-six points finishes, which includes a monumental run from 2006 to 2010 that featured five consecutive Sprint Cup Series championships. The five titles leave Knaus second on the all-time crew chief list, trailing only Dale Inman (8) in NASCAR’s illustrious history.
Knaus’ ascent to the NASCAR elite began at age 14, when he served as a crew chief for his father en route to a championship at Rockford speedway. The father-son combination went on to capture a great deal of success, winning the NASCAR Great Northern Series championship and finishing second in the Winston Racing Series. After high school, Knaus moved to North Carolina to pursue a career in motorsports and eventually landed with Jeff Gordon’s No. 24 team at Hendrick Motorsports. After several other stops, including at Dale Earnhardt, Inc., Knaus found his home with the No. 48 team and has dominated NASCAR ever since.
Q&A with Chad
Q: What do you most look forward to when coming back to Chicago?
A: I like a lot about the city, but great food and the people are some of the best it has to offer.
Q: If you had a free day to spend back home, how would you spend it?
A: I would head out to Millennium Park and hit a few local restaurants afterwards.
Q: Where is your favorite deep dish pizza from?
A: The Art of Pizza
Q: Favorite memory from Chicagoland Speedway?
A: We always enjoy coming out to Chicagoland, but I won’t have a favorite memory until we win there!
- JIM CORNELISON TO PERFORM NATIONAL ANTHEM AT CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY THIS SEPTEMBER
- Kimberly-Clark Professional extends ARCA race sponsorship of SCOTT® 150 at Chicagoland Speedway
- Chicagoland Speedway Wins Business Leader Of The Year Image Award
- Fans Who Purchase Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Tickets Can Receive their Money Back If Dale Earnhardt Jr. Wins The Daytona 500
- CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY GO GREEN FOR SPRING PRESENTED BY JULIE TO BE HELD SATURDAY, APRIL 8