Former NASCAR Driver and Elmhurst, Ill. Native, Fred Lorenzen, Named 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominee
Voting Day for the 2013 class will be May 23 and will be announced live at the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, N.C.
Joliet, Ill. – April 12, 2012 – Fred Lorenzen, who was honored by the Illinois General Assembly this past December, has been nominated for the 2013 NASCAR Hall of Fame. Lorenzen, who was also nominated in 2010 and 2011, was one of 25 nominees named on Wednesday by the NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominating Committee.
Among the other nominees were five first-time candidates, including Ray Fox, Anne Bledsoe France, Wendell Scott, Ralph Seagraves and Rusty Wallace.
The remaining nominees were announced as Buck Baker, Red Byron, Richard Childress, Jerry Cook, H. Clay Earles, Tim Flock, Rick Hendrick, Jack Ingram, Bobby Isaac, Cotton Owens, Raymond Parks, Benny Parsons, Fireball Roberts, T. Wayne Robertson, Herb Thomas, Curtis Turner, Joe Weatherly and Leonard Wood.
Five nominees will be inducted as the 2013 Class on May 23, after being considered by the NASCAR Hall of Fame Voting Panel. Fans will also have an opportunity to contribute to the process by participating in a nationwide vote on NASCAR.com. Voting opened on April 11, and will close at midnight on May 16. To vote for Lorenzen, CLICK HERE.
Earning the nicknames “Fearless Freddie” and “Golden Boy,” Lorenzen recorded 26 wins in his NASCAR career and remains the only NASCAR driver to win 20 races in their first 100 starts. The Elmhurst, Ill. native became the first driver to earn more than $100,000 in winnings in a single season, claiming $113,570 driving for the legendary Holman-Moody team in 1963. Lorenzen is a member of more than one motorsports hall of fame including the National Motorsports Press Association’s Hall of Fame, the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.
- ‘RACE’ TO CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY WITH TRAIN-TO-TRACK PROGRAM
- NASCAR XFINITY Series Driver Bubba Wallace to Driver Join s the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Race Team and will Drive the No. 6 Shredder Ford Mustang for Roush Fenway Racing at Chicagoland Speedway
- CHICAGOLAND SPEEDWAY TO HOST CAR WASH AND OFFER TRACK LAPS FRIDAY, AUGUST 5
- Jeff Gordon Ticket Offer and Question & Answer Session Now Available at Chicagoland Speedway for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 400
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway