NASCAR GREEN CLEAN AIR Gets Green Flag at Sator Sanchez Elementary School in Joliet
JOLIET, Ill. - Chicagoland Speedway President Craig Rust, with the help of 150 Sator Sanchez Elementary School fourth-graders and City of Joliet officials, planted the first of 80 trees donated to the City through the NASCAR GREEN CLEAN AIR program on Friday.
Staff from Chicagoland Speedway/Route 66 Raceway, Homer Tree Service, Kendall Hill Nursery and IlliniScapes all attended in honor of the program that began this year and in 2010 will plant enough trees to neutralize the carbon footprint of NASCAR races across the country.
“This celebration was a really fun way to get out into our community,” said Chicagoland Speedway President Craig Rust. “It was great to see our staff, the City of Joliet officials and all the kids from Sator Sanchez Elementary School interacting and enjoying the NASCAR GREEN CLEAN AIR program together.”
Now the City, with an assist from Homer Tree Service, IlliniScapes and the Speedway, will continue planting.
Trees will be planted in the following locations (followed in parenthesis by the number of trees): Sator Sanchez Elementary School (5); Aux Sable Middle School (10); Downtown Joliet (22); Hoboult Road (20); Joliet West High School (13) and the Speedway property (10).
In 2009, Chicagoland Speedway agreed to participate in the first year of the program. The purpose of the program is three-fold – to help off-set the sport’s carbon footprint, and to benefit a local minority- or woman-owned business and the communities that yearly host NASCAR events.
NASCAR purchased the trees from Kendall Hill Nursery, a Women’s Business Enterprise National Council-certified business in the Chicagoland city Newark, Ill. owned by Kathy Sharp.
- KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL AND THE SCOTT BRAND PARTNERING WITH ARCA RACING SERIES BY MENARDS
- TRAIN-TO-TRACK SHUTTLE SERVICE PROGRAM RETURNS FOR THE FIRST RACE IN THE CHASE
- NASCAR XFINITY SERIES DRIVER DANIEL SUAREZ VISITS THOMAS JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY IN JOLIET
- FANS INVITED INTO WORKING GARAGES, AUTOGRAPH SESSION DURING JUNE XFINITY SERIES RACE WEEKEND
- James Buescher Tours Rockford Ahead of Jimmy John's Freaky Fast 300 at Chicagoland Speedway